Chenocetah Fire Tower

Location
The Chenocetah Fire Tower is located at:
Highway 123 East
Cornelia, GA 30531

About the Tower
Built by the WPA (Works Progress Administration) in 1936 for the Chattahoochee National Forest, the stone tower is 40 feet high with a 14 feet by 14 feet wood cab covered by a 15 feet high peaked slate roof that curves slightly at the eaves. It was first dedicated on June 7, 1938, and again after World War II in memory of three forest workers who died during the war.

In active service as a fire tower until 1975, it was unused until 1989 when the Georgia Forestry Commission took over staffing during the fire season. The tower has been adopted by people living in residential areas near the mountain who have formed the "Chenocetah Conservation Corps" to provide grounds maintenance. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.
CivicSend Slideshow Left Arrow Slideshow Right Arrow
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5